J Gard & Sons Ltd, was established in 1919 by Jack Gard. The company initially operated from premises in beehive Lane, Chelmsford, cutting, chopping & bundling firewood, which at that time was an essential commodity.
In 1921 the business expanded and more land was obtained, a saw mill was built in order to retail timber and expand into the fencing and sheds market.
Further expansion came with a move in 1927 to premises by the Army & Navy Roundabout, which it occupied until 2005.
The company has enjoyed continued success with a long and well established clientele, and is still going from strength to strength.
Now located in East Hanningfield Gards finds itself being able to offer an extended range of high quality timber products.